Sunday, March 19, 2017

March 19 - Ski School

one of the first on the mountain
You may be wondering how we managed a ski vacation with an infant. Well, we split up our mountain time and it worked out perfectly. I dropped the kids off at ski school at 8am and skied from 8.30am to noon. They were excited to get started and walked right in with no issues. 

The first day, I was one of the first people in line for the chair lift and one of the first to the top of the mountain. Amazing-in all my years of skiing, I can say this was definitely a first. I started off on green trails and once I was comfortable, I moved to blues. It's been many years since I skied but it was like riding a bike. And skiing in the west?
Wow-it's not bone chilling cold like the northeast. It was cool at the top of the mountain and warm at the bottom. Sunshine, bright snow and just gorgeous conditions. Before I headed back to the condo, I went to the ski school area and tried to find the kids. I didn't see them (they must have been at lunch) but I did meet another mom from Niskayuna. Small world!

After noon, I headed back to the condo for lunch (food on the mountain is insanely expensive..$17 for a slice of pizza!) and switched off with JD. He went snow boarding from noon to 3.30pm and picked the kids up from ski school.
They both had a blast the first day. Julia met several new friends and couldn't stop talking about Claire-Bear and Sarah (Luke said "you know how many friends I made? Zero." I received an email update with their progress (Julia advanced from level 1 to level 3 and Luke stayed at level 1) which was pretty neat. After they got back, we had a quick dinner and then went swimming for a few hours. 

Funny exchange:

"I really like ski school but it's too long." - Luke
"Are you kidding me? It wasn't long enough!" - Julia


First day of ski school - success!


No comments: